OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,449Gear list
Like?
The camera metering mode changes nothing.
In reply to peevee1, Apr 13, 2013

I cannot understand why so many here seem to insist that the camera metering mode affects the TTL flash exposure -- it absolutely does not.

It will obviously impact ambient exposure if you are using flash at slower shutter speeds, but the flash exposure is based on the overall scene in the viewfinder -- regardless of camera metering pattern.

This is very simple to test (I've done it many times). Simply find an indoor scene with medium to dark tones -- no high reflectance items in the scene -- then shoot that scene with TTL flash at 1/60 sec, to minimize ambient light impact. Shoot the same scene in Evaluative Metering Mode, Center-weighted Metering Mode, and Spot Metering Mode. Flash exposure will be good and consistent across all exposures.

Then introduce a white card into the border of the frame so that most of the frame is still darker tones and repeat the above process. What you will see is that the flash exposure is consistently underexposed for the darker tones in the image across all exposures -- regardless of metering mode.

The impact of high reflectance areas on Olympus flash metering is exactly what the OP has demonstrated in his sample photos.

It is a problem for me, but not a deal breaker.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow