110 film is to 35MM as M43rd is to FF?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301Gear list
Like?
Re: 110 film is to 35MM as M43rd is to FF?
In reply to HL48, Apr 13, 2013

HL48 wrote:

Wasn't there a problem with the cartridge design prohibiting the use of a film registration plate that doomed the format to 4x6 mediocrity from the outset. Pentax's attempt was seen as misguided by the photography journals of the day - if memory serves.

Harry

Exactly! The cartridge was unable to hold the film flat, which meant that even with the best optics, sharpness were hit and miss, much the same as 126 cartridges. If anything, 110 film should be compared to phone cameras, and even they are much, much better.

I think some of the cameras were quite innovative, but the medium was not meant for serious use, so the cameras failed to produce consistently good results. I am sure there must be some good 110 pictures, but compared to the amount of bad ones I think they must be few and far between.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow