Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,021
Like?
Re: John, your take on the latest Canons
In reply to Earthlight, Apr 13, 2013

Earthlight wrote:

Have you had the chance to see whether anything has changed in the latest 18 MP sensors in terms of pattern noise?

I haven't paid attention to all of them.  The 7D was improved much over the 50D I had previously, except for the vertical banding visible mostly at low ISOs, and the 60D seemed to be better in general.  I have not paid attention to the other 18MP sensors, to tell you the truth, but it seems that they are more like the 60D than the 7D.

The 6D, of course, reduced it much more, but it is not completely absent.  Pushed to ISO 1 million from 102,400, the 6D shows some fairly bold banding, and you can see a very faint 7D-like vertical corduroy pattern, but you really have to look for it, and there are occasional little dashes or short lines of banding horizontally, but I'm talking about pushing ISO 100 to 6400 or more here.

I'm far less shadow-shy at base ISOs with the 6D than with my previous Canons.  If I wanted to pull up shadows at base ISO to cover specular highlights when I was carrying my 5D2, I would pull out one of my compacts with RAW; that's how bad the 5D2 was, and the 10D, 20D, 30D, 50D were all bad for this too; the 7D a bit better, though (and part of the 7D's vertical pattern was fixed, and could potentially be removed in PP).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow