Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?
Re: just lines
In reply to John Sheehy, Apr 13, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Why is the slanted edge test slanted then, if the angle has no bearing on resolution? What if you chose different spatial frequency and the other lens seem to win, etc.?

Of course, if the optics are properly sampled, the only difference in angular results are those imposed by the optics, and no appreciable difference is imposed by the discrete sampling structure.

I guess by properly sampled you mean well oversampled, and then I fully agree. If you just satisfy the sampling theorem, hen you have a problem. A properly sampled image can be reconstructed by a formula (given by the sampling theorem). Measuring the sensor output at spatial frequencies close to Nyquist is very different. You need an image with limiting resolution several times smaller than the pixel size to forget about the pixel structure of the image. The Nokia 808 gets closer to that, from what I have seen. And I am not even talking about color resolution. There is a reason for the slanted edge to be slanted.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow