Started Apr 12, 2013 | Questions thread
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423Gear list
Like?
Re: 18-300mm or AF-S 80-400mm?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Apr 13, 2013

Ernie Misner wrote:

engbert wrote:

I have the d7100 and the new 80-400 af-s.  It is a great combination.  With the d7100 you can crop so much that is almost like having a teleconverter.  You will see lots of amazing examples in these forums.

If the TC degrades the image ever so slightly, you might reduce your ability to crop and might be no better off.  Nikon has greatly improved the 3rd generation TC, but only for the 2x, not the 1.4 or 1.7.

However, the 2x would put you at f11.2, and you would have difficulty with AF and slow shutter speed.  If Nikon improves the TC14 I might consider it for the 80-400.

I am very happy with the 80-400.  However, if you look around this group and the d7100 etc. group you will see lots of excellent pictures from people who are very happy with the 70-300mm, which is a lot less expensive.

Here is one from yesterday.  I guess he was about 25 feet away.  Hand held.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Is that a hawk.... what type?    Man that's a nice clean image.    Can't wait for my 80-400 to arrive next week.   I finally said the heck with the price..... whatever.... lol

It's an American Kestrel.  Very common this time of year in Central Texas.  It only weighs about 3 ounces.  I can never get enough pix of them, but this is my best yet.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow