Any reason to shoot film nowadays?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291
Like?
Re: The Best Reason Evar!
In reply to MiraShootsNikon, Apr 13, 2013

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

The question, "should I shoot film?" is really shorthand for "what does--or what can--film photography look like?"  Instead of listening to a bunch of blowhards talk smack about what it can't do, why not shoot a roll and find out for yourself what it can?

Because we did it in prehistoric times and hated the inconvenience, cost and lack of immediacy?

And anyway, there are other reasons.  I prefer the workflow, which, for me, involves more time shooting and producing with clients and oh-so-much less time cooling my heels at my computer.   I love working with my lab: it's a big plus, to my mind, that the pro film workflow these days can involve a team of such talented, professional people.

Great. How many of those starting out in photography have that luxury?

Which gets me to another really important reason to shoot film: the community's way, way better.  Pro togs who shoot film really know what they're doing.

Which may mean something if you are in the business of selling photos and prints, granted. It's always good to be in the company of competent people.

But digital?  Man, these days everyone is a digital "photographer."

Power to the people, as it should be. Less elitism.

If you're interested in being a part of a vital artistic community and you want to learn some amazing things about how to produce gorgeous photography, shooting some film yourself and befriending people who shoot film is (ironically!) one of the best ways to filter the signal from the noise, so to speak.

Or it can be an annoying and terribly expensive pasttime.

mira

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow