OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD severe flash exposure problem
In reply to photofan1986, Apr 13, 2013

Gidday

My brother had the same "problem" using his E-620 + FL-36 last week.

Turns out that he was using centre-spot metering ...
The centre spot was absolutely perfectly exposed - Bugger about the rest of the image(s), about 1.40 stops underexposed ...

I have pointed out to him that one should only use centre-spot metering if that is indicated by the subject, and that centre-weighted average or matrix will usually give (far) better results in most cases. One must be sensitive to the subject matter being photographed, and set the metering mode accordingly. Flash is tricky ...

Having experimented with the conditions I spelled out to him, he now realises that it was user error.

At ISO 100, my E-30 + FL-36R will give 'perfect' exposure at a distance of 9.5 m with my 14~54 MkII set at f/8 and 42 mm (or 54 mm, or at f/11, for that matter).

As others have mentioned sprinkled through the parts of the thread that I have read, the metering mode is the key. At least when you are learning the new camera, I suggest setting the camera on AUTO flash mode, and the flash on TTL AUTO FOURTHIRDS, or whatever it is called on your unit (I don't have the manual to hand for that flash, and it's late here ... ).

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow