Rethinking 4/3 Depth Of Field

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not convinced...
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 13, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

it is most definitely a matter of taste.  To that end, let me present a wide open shot that I'm pretty sure you'll not like so much:

Canon 5D + 50 / 1.2L @ f / 1.2, 1/8000, ISO 100

I imagine that most would say, "WTF is there to like about this photo?!" and then add that the wide aperture only makes it worse.  Fair to say.

That photo might help illustrate the maxim "if you want to take more interesting photos, stand in front of more interesting stuff"

However, this photo really appeals to me.

De gustibus non est disputandum

I can't say why, but I can say that I bracketed the shot at f/1.2, f/2.8, f/5.6, f/8, and f/11 (I think), and the f/1.2 version was, by far, my favorite.

But, like I said, even for a shallow DOF whore like myself, most of the time it doesn't work.  But, like the photo above, often, the deeper DOF photos would not have appealed to me, so I just go for the shot I want, and if it works, great, if not, shoganai.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow