one pic - the power of symbols

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?
Re: one pic - the power of symbols
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 13, 2013

nikonFboy wrote:

I have a couple of questions.  Those look to me like plastic chairs.  I can't help not thinking about the incongruity of plastic chairs juxtaposed against what appears to be a formal, expensive (or at least professing to be expensive) shoe of some kind.  Also they are right in my line of vision along with the wall or window ledge (we normally initially tend to look at the top third of a compositional frame and then we scan the rest of the image.) It makes me wonder what the significance of these plastic chairs might be.

Also it appears that she has a tan line on her foot suggesting that she doesn't wear shoes like this often and instead perhaps wears casual running shoes as her daily shoe.  Also I ask myself why did the author choose to make this into a B+W image (the world is in color so I have to ask myself why is this in B+W and what is the meaning of it being in B+W.)

The tattoo looks like a million tattoos I've seen and so I'm not sure what significance it has if any to me.  These days, women of all ages and backgrounds might have tattoos.  So it doesn't specifically signify age nor class status, either. So it's just kind of there, like her leg.  I've seen a lot of legs, too.

These are legitimate questions because it's what I literally see in the image.  And I'm not sure what I'm looking at here beyond a technically well executed image in B+W.  Is this part of a series of images?

I'm sure the op has already mentioned that he had very little control over the surroundings.

pc
--
`its good to step outside your comfort zone occasionally, but is nicer to step back into it` PC.

I do understand that.  But they are still in the frame.  I can't remove them.  What's in the frame will always be in the frame.

well that's pretty obvious, you sound like a teacher now lol.

pc
--
`its good to step outside your comfort zone occasionally, but is nicer to step back into it` PC.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow