iPad mini as RAW backup

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Re: There ain't no space and time
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 13, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

Whilst the iPads are excellent devices for displaying pictures, their internal fixed memory can be a limit whilst travelling, especially if you don't want to cull your naff shots until you have seen them on a bigger screen, and/or do not want to spend holiday/travel time sorting through hundreds of shots each evening. So, reluctantly, after thirty years as an Apple devotee, I have bought an Android tablet, which has a microSD card slot to increase its total memory. With a USB/SD card connector kit, I can upload pictures from my camera cards to provide a duplicate copy on the tablet's microSD card. I can then repeat the process with fresh microSD cards, to back up my travel shots. However, because microSD cards are still relatively expensive, having loaded pictures from the camera card into a microSD card in the tablet, I can also provide backup copies by using the connector kit to download those pictures to a USB flash drive or a fresh SD card.   When not being used for shuffling photos, the tablet can be used to access the usual travel aids - WiFi, internet, Skype, maps, guidebooks, Google, book reader, diary, word processor, calculator, etc. Furthermore, it has a convenient graphical display of the folder and file hierarchy, which helps remind my ageing brain what files it holds, and where, in its voluminous maw, and allows me to shuffle them as required. It works for me: YMMD

Cyril

An interesting write up, but it would really benefit from some specifics to help put it in context:

• What's the longest trip you did with this setup?
  • How many photos did you shoot, over which period and what size files?
  • How long to copy to the MicroSD card and what size/speed was it?
  • Did you back up daily, how big was the USB drive? USB drives tend to be very slow so I presume you left this running overnight with the device on charge?
  • While the initial import and subsequent backup was running, could you use the tablet for anything else?
  • What software did you use for Raw. Obviously Android has no built in support for Raw so you have to use third party software to either extract the embedded previews, or process the raw files. Which approach did you use and what was the extra storage and time overhead. Presumably you did this before backing up, or was the backup just for the raws?
  • How did you keep the previews/conversions associated with the raws? Still, if you're not culling them, probably no reason to even have them on the device once you've processed them.

Enquiring travellers await your experience!

My workflow differed from the OP's in that I used a retina iPad. Its screen and resolution was far superior to the MBA I was using so I had no problem culling images based on what the iPad showed me. In fact, sorting the goods from the duds was kind of the point of an iPad based workflow when travelling.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow