Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,434Gear list
Like?
Re: iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - confused
In reply to capnblinski, Apr 13, 2013

capnblinski wrote:

Mikedigi wrote:

As I said above, "So iZoom on the FZ200 looks pretty good to me and I shall use it, with caveats, and I think that the fact that birders are using it is highly significant."

I see that using the iZoom feature allows using the FZ200's highest resolution for a given aspect ratio -as opposed to the EZ zoom

Hi Dave, firstly, I am only talking here about JPEGs, I do not know about RAW.

With Size set to 12mp, iZoom creates these file sizes:  4:3 12mp, 3:2 10.69mp, 16:9 8.99mp.

But in how it gets there, iZoom does not use the FZ200's highest sensor resolution.  To get the higher magnification/ narrower field of view, you are using only part of the sensor, for example, in 4:3 Aspect Ratio: at 37x, 2596 x 1952 pixels (5.07mp), at 48x, 2016 x 1516 pixels (3.05mp).

It then upsizes these crops to 4000 x 3000 pixels (12mp), apparently inserting additional pixels and adjusting noise and sharpening with iResolution (I think, I am new to this).  That is why iZoom is under iResolution in the menu.

The reason I carried out these tests (best ones on page 2) was that I could not believe that upsizing a 5.07mp or 3.05mp file to 12mp by digital fakery was a good idea or would give me anything usable.

But the results won me over, and I shall now use (in 4:3 aspect ratio) 12mp iZoom files (shot at anywhere between 25x and 48x iZoom) instead of the 3mp EZ files I have used in the past with the FZ8, FZ38 and FZ200.

As corroboration, some extreme birders use iZoom, so that's proof enough for me.

Only thing is, I've put my my lens cap down somewhere and have not found it yet . . . I really must tie it on, after all . . . 

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow