Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you would benefit from spending a little more
In reply to nuschu, Apr 13, 2013

nuschu wrote:.

What do you think of the Photo Clam PC-44NS..  You don't think that would support the weight?

I have no doubt the Photoclam PC-44NS would be absolutely fine. I have the much smaller Photoclam PC-30  (30mm diameter ball) which I've used with the very small Olympus E600 and 70-300mm with no problems whatsoever.

The ballhead has a luxuriously smooth fit and finish. It is heads and shoulders above the Manfrotto and Gitzo heads in that respect. There is no issue with the (very unbalanced) camera creeping out of place when I tighten it up and I would expect the larger PC44 to have no problems with your larger set up.

Unfortunately most of the middle to upmarket heads are unavailable for comparison in-store and you have to take a bit of a chance when ordering online. There are a number of heads that look very promising from their online reviews but which I can't personally recommend as I haven't used them.

That said, I think it's safe to say that all the usual suspects (RRS, Kirk, Acratech, Markins and Arca-Swiss) with a 40mm+ sized ball are going to be safe if expensive choices. Snapping at their heels would be the relatively new brands including Photoclam, Sunwayfoto  and even the newer low profile heads from Benro (G3) and Induro.

Those lowprofile heads ( RRS-style) may have clearance problems with the wide top plate on the Feisol ct3442, though.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow