iPad mini as RAW backup

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,960
Like?
Re: There ain't no space and time
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 13, 2013

Najinsky wrote: Cyril Catt wrote: Unfortunately, the iPad mini doesn't have enough memory to back up all the OP's pictures. As a standalone device it cannot export directly to SD cards to provide duplicates to back up his shots. And he may not want to risk his mailing his only copies home without first making sure he has a backup copy.

It depends entirely on the OPs definition of a Keeper. I'm a near permanent traveller who takes way too many naff photo's. I realised early on that the concept of the keeper was critical to getting portable workflow under control.

While many things are technically possible, much of it is new and under constant revision with loads of unforeseen bugs and gotchas, due to poor programming, poor UI's, and a media centric approach to files.

The proposed solution (ignore the mail home, which I wouldn't advise), is the fastest, lightest, most portable, and likely the cheapest.Providedyou can make a good call on your keepers.

It falls down if your keepers exceed the iPad capacity.

If that's the case, the ideal would be a modern replacement to the now discontinued Epson P-3000 . I have an old one upgraded to 80GB. It's OS limits the storage to around 120GB with the right kind of replacement drive and the raw support is well out of date (but that wouldn't matter just for storage).

These kind of devices became less popular due to netbooks being cheaper with more storage and a bigger diplay.

But with the popularity of tablets, I'm surprised there hasn't been a resurgence in these:

• slim, lightweight, low power (so a 128/256GB SSD).
  • Built in SD, optional CF.
  • Reasonable but cheap screen for managing the device.
  • Raw support for checking backups.
  • USB Host and Client
  • Wifi access

Until then, a stack of SD cards and a selective eye on the keepers is my stock advice.   -Najinsky

Najinsky wrote: Marco S Hyman wrote: Buy around 20 x 8GB SD cards (or whatever you think your shooting rate needs) = $130.

This. Except today the sweet spot may be buying 20 16 gig-cards. When a card is full put it away.  Better yet mail it home.

I'm not sure about mailing home. Depends how and where from. Many countries still open mail and/or have a high loss rate!

The card size is less about cost and more about the fill rate. As you can't eliminate the unwanted files from the iPad until the card is full, you want a card fill rate that's geared to your shooting style. Also as the iPad fills, you get fewer chances to load a larger full card. -- Najinsky

------------------------------- Whilst the iPads are excellent devices for displaying pictures, their internal fixed memory can be a limit whilst travelling, especially if you don't want to cull your naff shots until you have seen them on a bigger screen, and/or do not want to spend holiday/travel time sorting through hundreds of shots each evening. So, reluctantly, after thirty years as an Apple devotee, I have bought an Android tablet, which has a microSD card slot to increase its total memory. With a USB/SD card connector kit, I can upload pictures from my camera cards to provide a duplicate copy on the tablet's microSD card. I can then repeat the process with fresh microSD cards, to back up my travel shots. However, because microSD cards are still relatively expensive, having loaded pictures from the camera card into a microSD card in the tablet, I can also provide backup copies by using the connector kit to download those pictures to a USB flash drive or a fresh SD card.   When not being used for shuffling photos, the tablet can be used to access the usual travel aids - WiFi, internet, Skype, maps, guidebooks, Google, book reader, diary, word processor, calculator, etc. Furthermore, it has a convenient graphical display of the folder and file hierarchy, which helps remind my ageing brain what files it holds, and where, in its voluminous maw, and allows me to shuffle them as required. It works for me: YMMD

Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow