Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Franglais91
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
I like Windows 8. Finally..
In reply to Simon Garrett, Apr 13, 2013

I installed Windows 8 on my main laptop when it was first released because I needed to know it as a Microsoft Partner. And I wasn't impressed.

Then I bought a Windows 8 RT Surface for much the same reason. I thought it was cute but no software and no buyers.

Three months later - the Surface has become my main machine for day-to-day tasks like Mail and lightweight Office. I carry it around with me almost all the time.

- I've switched to using the Surface user interface for most tasks (the DPReview site shortcut is now a Tile on my desktop).

- My main laptop has the same user interface as the Surface (via my Hotmail account). It's relegated to powerhouse tasks (Lightroom, picture management). I just deinstalled Office

- I'm using the Windows Store to find applications.

Surprise. It was the Surface that did the trick. When you have a touchscreen system then Windows 8 starts to make sense.

Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow