X20 3200 ISO jpg - raw comparison

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: X20 3200 ISO jpg - raw comparison
In reply to Grobb, Apr 13, 2013

The poster apparently was happy with he picture at worst case so the argument against it was kinda moot. I agree I expected more on the JPEGs. What does puzzle me is your reply to this:

Why should anyone be forced to take only RAW images and PP them to death that are still only half way presentable?

To what measure do you make this claim? I have the impression that you misunderstand the dynamics and properties of the RAW characteristics of this particular camera. A person not having such a unit and not have shown any evidence of working with RAWs (well, at the very least, this one in particular), can only say that claim you just said in an extremely subjective and assumptive manner. You earlier challenged me for examples and I happily obliged. Whether you are satisfied or not has no importance to me as long as I and many others here are happy with the results.

I have posted several examples as per your request, as many have, and I still look at them objectively and not bother with the pixel-peeping, because after all that, 100-200% crops are not that critical to many images from any camera in the end.

I do agree that for the JPEG shooter, this camera requires a higher than average skills in control (I love it!), and the X20 is not for you. Especially with such an unremarkable JPEG output. However, again, having said that, I wished I waited a wee longer since the price have started dropping (and on the D7100 as well!). But compared even to the G12 and G15 with a smaller sensor whose noise characteristics is not better than the X20 (okay, I can only vouch for the G12, never touched the G15), the controls, focus speed, manual zoom, ability to attach external microphones, lens filters for 52mm with the hood and great OVF make up for the extra 100.

The sharpness is also uncanny, see my cat pix for that!

The retro-ness is an added bonus for me. But like I said, the OP is quite happy, why keep discouraging contented people around here? What's your point? People choose and it does not need any approval from us so I say again, please contribute something of substance coz we already have critics a dime a dozen! Peace!

Liz.

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow