Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,636
Like?
Re: I'm not convinced...
In reply to Anders W, Apr 13, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes, I know. I think you are an excellent photographer and you generally have stylistic ideals that I think are close to my own, but the shallow DoF effect does not work for me in most of those images although there might be a few exceptions.

How dare you, sir!  Shallow DOF *always* makes the photo better, and the more shallow the better! 

With your permission sir, I think many of those are excellent shots that would have become still more excellent with slightly more DoF. That said, as already indicated, it does occasionally work.

Like I said:

More seriously, I absolutely account for differences in taste, but, as you know, I have quite an affinity for shallow DOF photography.  And that's not because I shoot FF -- it's why I went FF.

All that said, it is often difficult for me to get a "successful" photo at the DOFs I shoot -- most suck.  It's just that the deeper DOF shot that I could have gotten easily enough rarely appeals to me (not that I don't shoot my fair share of pics with deeper DOF, of course).

it is most definitely a matter of taste.  To that end, let me present a wide open shot that I'm pretty sure you'll not like so much:

Canon 5D + 50 / 1.2L @ f / 1.2, 1/8000, ISO 100

I imagine that most would say, "WTF is there to like about this photo?!" and then add that the wide aperture only makes it worse.  Fair to say.

However, this photo really appeals to me.  I can't say why, but I can say that I bracketed the shot at f/1.2, f/2.8, f/5.6, f/8, and f/11 (I think), and the f/1.2 version was, by far, my favorite.

But, like I said, even for a shallow DOF whore like myself, most of the time it doesn't work.  But, like the photo above, often, the deeper DOF photos would not have appealed to me, so I just go for the shot I want, and if it works, great, if not, shoganai.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow