Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup camera for Africa
In reply to Harry Behret, Apr 13, 2013

You make an excellent point discussing the redundancy.  Not sure if using the 2X extender on the 70-200 would degrade the picture quality more than using the 80-400 with no extender though.  I am leaning towards using the 300 2.8 with an teleconverter for one camera and just having the 70-200 with no teleconverter on the second camera.   I have heard that the 200-400 does not take teleconverters well but you may have had a different experience.   You also make a good point about the low light performance of the ff.  Lots to think about.

I'm very excited about going.

thanks again for your comments.

Marsha

Harry Behret wrote:

I have shot Africa 3 times (twice in Kenya). I have always used FF bodies and have rarely missed the extra "reach" of a DX body. You will usually shoot in the early morning and the late afternoon and will want the low light performance of a FF body.

Your use of the 70-200 2.8 will give you the reach of 140-400 at 5.6 so renting out the 80-400 would be redundant. I would rent out the 300 2.8 or the 200-400 f/4 for your 2nd body. The 200-400 with a 1.4 TC will give you some extra reach. I have used the 70-200 and the 200-400 on my trips with excellent results.

If weight is a major concern I saw two photographers get good results in good light with the Panasonic GH-3 and the 100-300 lens (200-600 mm) on my last trip to Kenya.

No matter what kit you take you will get incredible photo ops in Kenya and have a blast.

Harry

-- hide signature --

http://behret.smugmug.com
'if you ain't having fun, you ain't doing it right'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow