Red-Head lightning for portrait photography

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,801Gear list
Like?
Re: Red-Head lightning for portrait photography
In reply to ALEXR86, Apr 13, 2013

I don't recommend using continuous lighting for portraiture, especially if you want to mix it with studio strobes or hot-shoe flash.  The white balance of the lights is different and the intensity of continuous lights is much weaker than the flash of light from strobes or hot-shoe flash units.  If you are shooing with continuous lights you need long shutter speeds, which means you will have a big problem with camera shake and subject movement.  Strobes are simply the best way to go for portraiture.

Portraiture depends on you being able to light the face so that the highlights and shadows will give the flat image of the face a 3D appearance and to sculpt the face.  Being able to see the lighting is essential, especially for a beginner.  For this reason you want studio strobes with modeling lights so you can see the lighting and get it correct before you push the shutter button.  Hot-shoe flash lack modeling lights so they are not a good choice for a beginner doing portraiture,  Even professionals with many years of experience almost always choose studio strobes.

Before buying any studio equipment please read my article on equipment for a small home studio.  I made the mistake of buying poor quality studio strobes the first time, and they quickly wound up in the trash - a complete waste of my money.  I wrote the article to help others avoid my costly mistake.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait/Glamor Studio

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow