Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Apr 13, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

It seems to me that if we haven't heard anything about a D400-like DX camera by the end of 2013, then it's time to make other plans.  If it's coming at all, then sometime this summer seems like the most likely time frame unless they are having technical problems with it or changing the design late in the process to make sure and avoid both the D800 (AF) and D600 (sensor gunk) problems or to just make sure it has a bulletproof launch in light of their other launch debacles.

It's also possible that it has just taken them longer than expected to get to 8fps at 24MP/14 bits with low read noise and they set that as the bar for the D400.  Either they need a new dual EXPEED design that they haven't done before which didn't go as planned or they are relying on a 3rd party vendor to produce silicon speed changes (in the EXPEED ASIC) and that is taking long than expected or getting to low noise at 8fps, 24MP, 14 bits is proving difficult for their sensor design.  Everything else should be basically off-the-shelf stuff they've done before unless they're shooting for some other new tech advance too.

They're just trying to get the lag out of the EVF.

You really think they're going to make the D400 be their first interchangable lens DX camera with an EVF?

I'm expecting that to happen someday, but I'm expecting it to be a new product line and probably with different (and smaller) lenses (since it doesn't need to stick with the full frame lens design) like Sony has done with the NEX line.  There would probably be an adapter to use normal DX or FX lenses with it, but the native lenses for it will be smaller.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow