Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,446Gear list
Like?
more Tennis Sales Talk
In reply to olliess, Apr 13, 2013

olliess wrote:

007peter wrote:

I used to sell Tennis Rackets when I was young.  Everybody want to buy a tennis racket that that professional use, which are the worst choice for beginner without skills.  I often tell them that professional have a different need than a beginner, but I can't sell a tennis racket that way.

Like it or not, most American tend to be Pro-Wanna-Be and they buy whatever the camera/tennis racket that the professional uses.  I learned quickly if I want to make commission, I tell them exactly what they want to hear:

"You want to buy that outrageously expensive $300 Wilson Prostaff 90 because its what the former #1 Pete Sampras uses so it must be good!"

I mostly agree with your sentiments, but the tennis racket example is ironic. The Sampras racquet (Pro Staff 85) was kind of like the "manual focus 50 mm lens" of its day. No frills, gave you everything back that you put into it, and not much more than that.

Exactly, glad to meet someone who knows a thing or two about tennis racket.  Wilson ProStaff 85/90 Its a Full Manual Lens without any power.  It is a precise tools for precision placement, the racket has no power and is very unforgiving due to its small head and semi-soft frame for reduced power.

A pro like Pete Sampras, can hit a fast tennis ball coming at him right in the center of a tiny 85~90 head size.  A beginner, however, lack the necessary skills demand by small-head-racket.  Beginner are better served by an Oversize Tennis racket 105 ~ 120, where it is easier to land the ball on the sweet-spot.

Unfortunately, no one would listen.  Everyone want to be Pete Sampras, everyone buy an expensive Wilson Prostaff 85 or 90.  They endup playing worst tennis games because they couldn't hit the ball within a tiny 85mm head; and when they do managed to hit the ball, Wilson Prostaff provide NO POWER, so their ball landed short.  Either way, its a lose-lose situation.  But its not my problem, they wouldn't listen, I'm happy to sell them whatever they want, as long as the commission is mined to keep.

It was the "standard racquet" for an entire generation, starting before Sampras, who stuck with the classic even as the technology "advanced" to lighter, faster racquets. Agassi, on the other hand, was very much on the cutting edge with his large-headed "beginner" racquet and hybrid strings. Different approaches to top-level results.

Sampras vs Agassi is a classic battle of the two styles:

Sampras = British Serve/Valley styles, favor small head racket + Eastern Grip for straight shots without over/under spin.

Agassi = American Aggressive Baseliner, favor over-size head + Western Grip for massive over/under spin.

Anyone who love tennis should youtube for their classic battle of 2 complete styles.

In there somewhere is surely a happy medium which is not only suitable for pros but also for enthusiasts interested and willing to develop their skills. What can I say? We Americans aspire to greatness.  

For Tennis = YES, for Camera = NO.

Serious NTRP 3.5 ~ 5.0 players are very knowledgeable.  They know exactly Who They are, where  they ranked, what style they used, and what tennis racket they need to win.

But NTRP 1.0 ~ 3.0 player (beginner) do not, they simply COPY whatever the PRO uses.

(As an aside, the Pro Staff 85 was actually a kind of mid-priced racquet in its day, definitely not in the $300 range).

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow