Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,278Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't take my word for it.
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Apr 13, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

It doesn't matter. His primary priority is getting shutter speed right and reach.

So when he he says things like ...

"The shallow depth of field allows me to work with the light and not worry about the background as the 400mm f2.8 Series II renders it completely out of focus and draws the viewer's eye directly to the player flying through the air."

... and

"It's fast maximum aperture of f/4 gives me not only a high shutter speed to freeze the action, but shallow depth of field to separate the players and horses from the background.  "

... he has no interest in the shallow DOF capability of the lenses?

Ahem. If he is more interested in "almost wide open" for shallow DOF as the top priority, I would question his sanity. Where exactly have I claimed that isolation is not desirable? Have I not shown you my own image? The problem with your idea is to assume a position that there can never be too little DOF which is a ridiculous position to assume. And even you know that. Or may be you NEVER stop down for DOF?

Wow, two things are obvious:

1. You've never shot from the sidelines in a stadium
  2. Somehow it's important for you to believe that  blurring the background is not an important goal of such shooting.

So I take it back -- do not ask a sports pro about why they use these lenses -- it will just waste both parties time.

-- hide signature --

Erik

#1 is rather funny. Shooting from the sidelines would actually lessen the need to worry about too much DOF. It is shooting from distance when the shallow DoF is somewhat lost (again, at longer FL, even that isn't generally an issue unless distances are very large and lens not so long).

And why are you avoiding the image of Kingfishers taken at f/8? Do you see that image missing out on shallow DOF? Really?

This is 200mm f/2.8 on Sony NEX-3. To avoid too shallow DOF (especially when she was running towards me), I use f/4 (here) to f/5.6.

NEX-3, Minolta 200/2.8, f/4

f/5

Among many images I took here, I miss something here. Can you guess what it is?

A55 w/Sony 135mm STF f/5.6

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow