Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: Don't Blame "salespersons", the fault lies with BUYER themselves
In reply to 007peter, Apr 13, 2013

007peter wrote:

I used to sell Tennis Rackets when I was young.  Everybody want to buy a tennis racket that that professional use, which are the worst choice for beginner without skills.  I often tell them that professional have a different need than a beginner, but I can't sell a tennis racket that way.

Everyone comes in aspire to be Pete Sampras and buy a super-heavy (Wilson ProStaff 90), or they fellow Andre Agassi and buy themselves an over sized (Head Radical 110).

Like it or not, most American tend to be Pro-Wanna-Be and they buy whatever the camera/tennis racket that the professional uses.  I learned quickly if I want to make commission, I tell them exactly what they want to hear:

"You want to buy that outrageously expensive $300 Wilson Prostaff 90 because its what the former #1 Pete Sampras uses so it must be good!"

I mostly agree with your sentiments, but the tennis racket example is ironic. The Sampras racquet (Pro Staff 85) was kind of like the "manual focus 50 mm lens" of its day. No frills, gave you everything back that you put into it, and not much more than that. It was the "standard racquet" for an entire generation, starting before Sampras, who stuck with the classic even as the technology "advanced" to lighter, faster racquets. Agassi, on the other hand, was very much on the cutting edge with his large-headed "beginner" racquet and hybrid strings. Different approaches to top-level results.

In there somewhere is surely a happy medium which is not only suitable for pros but also for enthusiasts interested and willing to develop their skills. What can I say? We Americans aspire to greatness.  

(As an aside, the Pro Staff 85 was actually a kind of mid-priced racquet in its day, definitely not in the $300 range).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow