5D MkIII + 7D?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adam2
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,733
Like?
Re: 5D MkIII + 7D?
In reply to scottv69, Apr 13, 2013

Great question!  I've recently retired from the sports business and have sold all of my equipment.  The 5diii is a great all round utility camera and its AF works great for many sports.  You asked a question about frame rate and that is IMHO extremely important depending on the type of sport you are shooting.  We all know the "it" shot when we see it and when you are shooting with a higher frame rate it increases the chances of capturing it.  Frequently, there might be a body part or a shadow, ball, or facial expression in one image that either obstructs or enables the shot.  Ironically, you could increase the frame rate by shooting video and then extracting the perfect frame but assuming that you aren't doing that and getting back to your original question, here are my thoughts.

If you are shooting the 5diii, the 7d's menu's will seem somewhat familiar.  Personally, I didn't like the 7d for reasons of AF inconsistency and IQ.  While the crop factor may or may not be appreciated, the relatively smaller FOV in the viewfinder will not.  Comparatively, it's a bit harder to anticipate the action in a 7d as opposed to the 5diii.  As one person indicated, the 1dmkiv would be a great choice but at around $2600-3000 for a used one, it could be pricey.  Alternatively, consider a 1dmkiii.  A late series one will set you back around $1000-1200 and at 10 fps, it is more than capable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow