Who here got rid of all dust on their sensor with wet cleaning?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,530Gear list
Like?
Excellent advice!
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 13, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Every so often I set down and clean all my cameras, and my wife.  D80, D200, D300, D700, and soon-to-be-cleaned-the-first-time D800e.

I use Pec Pads, a plastic wand, a rubber band, Eclipse2 fluid, and patience.  I follow up with a Sensorpen.

For me, it's almost never a one-pass job.   First time took me 30 minutes and 7 pads.   I've got better with practice, so now often one or two wet cleans and a quick dab with the Sensorpen to finish.

I start with a Rocket Blower, giving a few puffs.   Then I check to see what's left and where.

I've got a sensor loupe with a light - worthless for seeing the dust specks that show up at F11, but handy to see how badly you've screwed up leaving cleaning streaks on the sensor.   But to check, you absolutely have to do a test shot and check the results.  Chimping the LCD at the right magnification works fine.

Once I decide to wet clean, I lay everything out in a clean, bright work area.  I make sure the batteries are fully charged.

I make a wet clean pass, then check it by taking a test shot.   I usually find the old spots gone after the first pass now (unless sticky pollen was on there), but I've managed to shove dust into a corner.

Additional wet passes usually remove a lot of dust, but move some around to another corner.  Eventually I got smart and bought a sensorpen.   It's got a small tip that I carefully use on dirty corners, and the job is then almost always done.   Saves a lot of aggravation.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Excellent advice. I suggest you follow it - to the letter.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow