Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?
Re: they could have two operating systems
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 12, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

It's hard to imagine why someone would want to run a sophisticated application like Photoshop on a phone.   Similarly, I can't imagine why a desktop user would want something like a calculator app filling up his whole monitor.  It seems so obvious to me that these are two different worlds with their own needs, and I'm completely baffled as to why Microsoft doesn't seem to understand this.

I'm a bit baffled on why you think Microsoft doesn't get it when both options are still readily available.

You are rather focused on the two extremes of how we interact with computers; the small touchscreen phone/tablet and the desktop with a 30" monitor.  I have used Windows 8 on both.  On my desktop I agree that I found little need for any Metro specific apps.  Conversely, on my small tablet, I found interacting with the desktop frustrating with my finger, and so used MOSTLY Metro apps.  Strangely enough, I never really found that one UI option got in the way of the other.

That said, I think the real crossover appeal will be seen in devices that straddle the line between those two paradigms.  I am excited to be able to put Windows 8 on my netbook once they lower the screen resolution requirements in Blue.  I think the lower density apps will serve quite a few of my needs while the desktop will still allow me to do more detailed work.

If you don't like Metro, or don't see a need for it, just don't use it.  For 99% of the things you do with a desktop computer, it is simply not that hard to avoid.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow