Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: I'm not convinced...
In reply to Anders W, Apr 12, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I had a go at something like that here (click on "show signature" to see the entire post; I made a mistake of including a dashed line and ... ).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50462878

Not saying that's ideal in all regards but that was what I could manage.

Well, based on those samples, the EM5 has the clear edge.

For my personal/wants needs, there aren't a whole lot of pictures that would benefit from (or "tolerate") much less DoF than I get when I shoot my fast MFT primes (12/2, 20/1.7, 45/1.8, 75/1.8) wide open, although as you know I am less fond of background blur with very fast WAs than you are. That said, exceptions do of course exist. See example below.

Ironically, I think shallow DOF with UWA is "da bomb":

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38116367

Yes, I know. I think you are an excellent photographer and you generally have stylistic ideals that I think are close to my own, but the shallow DoF effect does not work for me in most of those images although there might be a few exceptions.

How dare you, sir!  Shallow DOF *always* makes the photo better, and the more shallow the better! 

More seriously, I absolutely account for differences in taste, but, as you know, I have quite an affinity for shallow DOF photography.  And that's not because I shoot FF -- it's why I went FF.

All that said, it is often difficult for me to get a "successful" photo at the DOFs I shoot -- most suck.  It's just that the deeper DOF shot that I could have gotten easily enough rarely appeals to me (not that I don't shoot my fair share of pics with deeper DOF, of course).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow