OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,896Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD severe flash exposure problem
In reply to photofan1986, Apr 12, 2013

Some here seem to be saying that the Olympus flashes have an across the board under-exposure problem -- I do not experience that.

What I do experience is pretty much what your example photos show -- that when a bright/high reflectance item or area is introduced into the scene, the flash metering tends to be overly sensitive to such situation and weights the exposure too heavily toward the bright area.

A perfect example is that I can shoot a group of people at a reception and get a perfect flash exposure, then do a second shot where some waiter's white shirt sleeve sneaks into the border of the frame and the next shot is at least a stop underexposed -- it drives me nuts -- and you are correct that the camera metering mode has no impact on this tendency.

What I would love to see from Olympus is a flash system that allows face detection metering that would ignore the overall scene metering -- that would be a true godsend.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow