Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrstrider
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Cheap fix for LX5 thumbwheel problems
Apr 12, 2013

I've heard that a number of people have had the same problem I had with the thumbwheel on the LX5 crapping out after a year or so. I wasn't going to spend $150 or more to have it fixed professionally, so I decided to take a risk. I bought a can of Radio Shack "Control/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant" for about $10. On the can it says "For electro-mechanical devices- especially drum-type TV Tuners". I thought that sounded pretty good, so I masked off the thumbwheel slot with masking tape and paper towels so the spray wouldn't mess up the rest of the camera, then sprayed a decent blast of cleaner into the slot from about a foot away so that the slot wouldn't get overloaded. Removed the masking materials, rotated the thumbwheel in both directions for a minute or so, and presto, my thumbwheel works like new! I have no idea how long this will last, or if it will end up causing other problems, but a wek later it's still working like a champ. I was about to throw the camera away, which I was not at all happy about, as I bought it new for $400 a year or so ago. I like the camera very much, but this thumbwheel issue is very bad, and Panasonic should do something about it. I'm going back to Olympus myself. In any case, if you feel like taking the risk, this might work for you too... Good Luck!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow