The price of the SD1M is still way too high!

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,985
Like?
Re: The price of the SD1M is still way too high!
In reply to Lin Evans, Apr 12, 2013

I remember driving in the south west. It's like driving in Australia - those towns that look half inch apart on the map aren't 30 mins apart as you might expect but a day's drive.

Now if I drove 1000 miles it wouldn't be a Rolls I needed but an amphibious vehicle as I'd be half way to Iceland!

How much does petrol cost in the US these days? It costs about £80 to fill the tank of my car (around 50 litres).

You seem to have a lot of vehicles. We make do with a single car, 7 years old now. To be honest I struggle to imagine what I would do with a second car, I drive so occasionally. No where to park one either, except the flower bed!

Lin Evans wrote:

Yes, it's quite different depending on where you live and the type of driving you do. Here in the western parts of the US, it's not unusual to drive a couple hundred miles just to get somewhere you want to be for an afternoon. I sometimes drive as much as 800 to 1000 miles in a single day and often on roads where one can safely average 80 mph or more. For those long trips, having a "train" is actually a blessing. For the twisty mountain roads other types of vehicles are nice and for running around in the cities, still different types. I have a SmartCar for the city trips and to and from town for groceries, etc. It's about as small as it gets. For road trips to the mountains, I have a turbocharged Subaru WRX all wheel drive and for pulling my big toy hauler on long trips in which I put the Smartcar and my Harley Davidson Motorcycle, I have a huge  4 Wheel Driver V10 Dodge Pickup. Fuel is still much cheaper in the US than in Europe. I've driven many thousands of miles through the UK, Germany, Bavaria, Italy, France, Switzerland, Spain, etc., and for those trips it was usually a C Class Mercedes Diesel or a BMW 330i. The Mercedes was especially nice because of great fuel economy and still with sufficient performance to not be blown off the Autobahn - LOL. I would love to have a Rolls, especially an old one just for fun. They can seriously be purchased here often in good shape with low miles for under $20,000. The maintenance costs, however, would break my budget so it will never happen...

Best regards,

Lin

DMillier wrote:

I appreciate Americans have a different concept of what makes a nice car to Europeans but I detest any cars bigger than a Golf.  I had a VW Passat as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks recently while I was having the annual rear end replacement my car seems to attract ("oops sorry mate, foot slipped off the clutch").  I hated it. Huge bus of a car. I know you might consider cars like Passats and Mondeos to be small but I consider then horribly huge and stodgy drives.

My favourite cars are what we call Superminis here (small hatchbacks) eg Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, Fiat Punto, Renault Clio, Vauxhall/Opel Corsa, Nissen Micra, Toyota Yaris.... Haven't seen many cars of this size in my three trips to N America. The nearest equivalent I remember was a Geo Metro or something similar.

Actually the most fun car I've driven now sadly departed to the rustbed in the sky was my 1987 Ford Fiesta XR2 - especially after I had the suspension uprated so it was scraping along  the road.  It didn't have the power of my current Golf but it was incredibly nimble and responsive and made driving fun. A former colleague of mine used to joke about his TVR sports car that not only could you tell when you ran over a coin but you could tell whether it was heads or tails. My XR2 was like that.

Big cars like Rolls and SUVs and RVs are just railway trains transported to the road. Fine comfortable and quiet for passengers on a long motorway cruise but as nimble as a supertanker on a twisty country lane. Not my cup of tea. If I was given a Rolls, I'd sell it without even sitting in the driver's seat. If my dad were stil capable of driving safely, he'd like one though...

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow