ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HappyVan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
The real story about D600 and D800
Apr 12, 2013

The real story about D600 and D800

Had a massive problem with D800 left AF again after the FW update. Thought that it was the same problem now caused by the FW update. Sent it to Nikon for adjustment as before.

Surprise! It was not the FW. Turns out that I had damaged the lens mount, probably during a collision while mounted with 70-200.

Nikon changed the D800`s lens mount for $375, and adjusted the mount on the lens.

During a follow up with a Nikon tech guy, I got some answers.

I asked why the main damage occurred to the camera and not the lens.

Da Guy said that the lens acted like a T-bar. I take that to mean that the mass and momentum of the lens hammered the camera lens mount.

Lesson learned there. I’m told that the mechanical tolerance is rated at one nano metre. One thousand of a millimetre. Don’t bump your gear.

More interestingly, I learned that the D800 AF problem was not a calibration problem. Its an alignment problem with the mirror. That’s why Live View is unaffected.

The problem is unique to D4, D800 and D600 because the mirror (through which a DSLR does AF) is a new design. In the past, the mirrors were rigid. The new mirrors were designed to facilitate video (prolonged mirror up). Unfortunately, Nikon anticipated accelerated wear on the buffers during mirror up.

So, Nikon designed the mirror to be tilt-able (pivots) which could be set by service technicians to compensate for uneven wear on the buffers.

Apparently, early shipments of D800 were misaligned at the factory or bumped during shipment. The problem is easily solved by aligning the mirror back to level. So, the FW update should have no impact on the left AF problem.

I don’t understand the technical of mirror operation. So, I am merely reporting my take of what he said.

Suggests to me that persistent left AF problem is caused by lens damage. So, test your D800 with at least three lenses to verify whether the problem is camera or lens.

Da Guy also said that the D600 oil spot problem was caused by the supplier who Nikon contracted the shutter out to. But, the problem has been identified and the issue fixed.

In short, Da Guy was very positive that current D600 and D800 were fine.

Da Guy did offer this advice. The filters on the new sensors are coated with an anti-dust agent. Do not use consumer wet sensor cleaners because the anti-dust coating causes smudges. So, you will get a mess when you try to clean the oil spots by yourself.

Nikon will clean the sensors with their special wet cleaners. But, this has to be done in a safe room because their cleaners are toxic.

I asked Da Guy why Nikon PR didn’t explain the problems as clearly as he did. Da Guy explained that Nikon PR was inhibited by the lawyers because of the potential for product liability. Apparently, Da Guy felt so frustrated that he vented off into my sympathetic ear.

Hope this helps.

Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow