Equivalent focal length for MFT lenses

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,437Gear list
Like?
Uh, nope
In reply to draleks, Apr 12, 2013

draleks wrote:

There is a lot of talk about comparing lenses for MFT with APS or full format lenses. So I want to check if the following comparison is correct. If I have an MFT 300 mm f/6.7 lens, and a full format 600mm f/6.7 lens that is of a worse manufacturing quality and just happens to be twice as soft as the MFT lens. Then, on equal ISO values, those two lenses will be an exact match. Right?

The poorer quality of the 35mm-format lens will reveal itself quite clearly compared to the M43 lens. I've checked this stuff out under real-world conditions.

Now--if you mount the theoretical 600mm lens on the M43 camera via adapter, and the lens just happens to perform great in the center but totally stink towards the corners--you might end up with a useful ultra-long lens for M43 cameras. I own some lenses that perform okay on 35mm but noticeably improve on M43 due to their good center performance.

If what you're getting at is DOF stuff...that's a different subject altogether, and your notion about poor lens quality being an important factor is wrong.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
U2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow