Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
Re: Why should I care?
In reply to MediaArchivist, Apr 12, 2013

MediaArchivist wrote:

Why should anyone on this forum care?

Sometimes they should, I reckon. Generally, no.

But if we only talked about cameras or photos without the business side, it would be more boring.

I like to know what is happening sales-wise sometimes, but you are right that it means very little to those using cameras BUT we can look at Four Thirds (for example) and basically how Olympus abandoned it, if we are being honest: they made no new 'consumer' bodies for so long.

Some people could have sold their gear earlier if they knew what was up, business-wise.

Years ago many argued Olympus would still be making DSLRs; I argued that they'd essentailly abandon them and go with where there advantages are best exploited. And they did, basically.

Me, I'd never sell and don't care for 'teams' or 'sides' in photography. If an unpopular (or popular) camera meets a need or a want better than another, it's time to buy it and I couldn't care less about the business side of things or picking 'the winning team' when making a new purchase.

But at the same time I can understand why a customer with little product knowledge or those new to cameras could be swayed by 'winning team' talk.

Quite aside from that, I think it's interesting to see how sales are going sometimes. I like knowing about the strategies the camera manufacturers have and how the market in general accepts products outside of the world of enthusiasts you often find on this site.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow