Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
viridiflavus
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform
In reply to Bart Hickman, Apr 12, 2013

Bart Hickman wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

For Sony, the problem is IQ. their made flange back distance too short to make the camera as compact as they can, now they are paying the price - they just cannot make lenses perform well wide open around the corners. Once people buy into the system and want decent glasses, they can find none except use an adapter and shoot MF lenses. Not everyone's cup of tea.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  The short flange distance simply allows lenses that benefit from it (eg., the very good 10-18) to take advantage of it.  I think it also lets the 16-50 shrink more when it's not actually in use.

The 55-210 obviously isn't suffering from the short flange distance either (if anything, it's sharpest at 55mm where the rear element is closest to the sensor.)

Bart

-- hide signature --

It seems to have to do with sensor construction, hat is different from film because light has to enter the sensor more or less straight for the best results (ligth gets reflected of the sensor or it doesn't hit the pixel well.) The short flange distance makes the angles of entry quite shallow. Using an adapter or lenses that come out more (i have a sigma 19 mm that is quite bulky) should solve the problem. I have no complaints about the sigma 19 mm in image quality, probably because it doesnt have the short flange distance of the pankcake. Still waiting the adapter to use manual focus nikon lenses. With an adapter the flange distance is also higher and the angle of entry problem is the same as for any regular nikon dslr.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow