What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects? (sports, children, animals)

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,734Gear list
Like?
Re: You mean like this?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, Apr 12, 2013

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

At a casual glance one might be impressed, but really... where's the exif?

Continuous AF through SLT cameras is very fast and up for pretty much any challenge you can throw at it in the price class. And I am not even talking A65/A77 (impressively fast AF).

Popular Photography on A77:

"Despite the likelihood that most people will pay more attention to the A77's other features, its autofocus is what really stood out the most in our lab tests. It focused in a mere 0.24 sec at the brightest part of the test and remained under 0.3 sec down to EV 8. At EV 2, which is dimmer than most people's living rooms, the A77 focus in 0.51 sec. And at EV -1, the lowest light level for which the AF system is rated, the camera was able to focus in 0.98 sec.

How does that compare? The EOS 7D was able to focus at EV -2, but at all other light levels in our test, it was slower than the Sony. Nikon's D300s was able to focus in 0.93 sec at EV -1, but as with the Canon, Sony's A77 proved faster at all other light levels."

But, I happen to own the SLT-original: A55, and NEX-original: NEX-3. The latter doesn't have the benefit of SLT focusing speed, until I add EA2 adapter into the mix. Then it matches A55 and A57 (uses the same PDAF system), works great for fast moving animals, dogs, or shooting sports, panned or coming directly towards you. And remember, this is without having to sacrifice a shallow DOF.

And they are excellent tools to even develop manual photography skills, so much so that you may not have to rely on AF to keep up with kids who aren't sitting still...

Here, my fast little Chihuweenie, running (away from the camera), and note the relatively shallow DOF:

Sony NEX-3, Minolta 200mm f/2.8 G APO HS (EA2), ISO 200, 1/400s, f/3.2

Sports? No problem:

Sony NEX-3, Minolta 200mm f/2.8 (EA2), ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/640s

Tracking with manual focus? No problem (taken through a fence which affects the contrast in some areas a bit):

Sony NEX-3, Sony 135mm f/2.8 (EA2), ISO 200, f/4.5, 1/500s

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow