Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,589Gear list
Like?
Re: they could have two operating systems
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 12, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

I haven't looked at the Metro development environment, but I've heard comments that it's very similar to Android.   And I have had a brief look at the Android SDK - it appears that as a programmer you have to create different viewgroups and layouts for an application that takes advantage of larger screen sizes.   So although it's seamless for the user, it may not be for the developer, depending on the kind of application.

I wouldn't pretend it's trivial to design Android apps that play nicely both on small phones and on large tablets, but it's not that hard to develop multiple layouts etc, and then Android automatically uses the appropriate screen layout (of those you've designed) for the screen size in use.

But I reckon that if you have a very large screen, or are using a keyboard and a mouse, then ideally you need more than different screen layouts.  You need to redesign the program logic more substantially.  Or you end up with a keyhole view of a large-screen layout on a tiny screen, or small screen logic ludicrously blown up on a large screen (which IMHO is what most Metro apps look like on a desktop).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow