OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,673
Like?
Re: Isabel...a bit O.T.
In reply to daddyo, Apr 12, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer, which is similar.

I've tried many different diffusers and reflectors and for sheer small size, convenience and output I prefer the Stofen and note when I watch news events that many of the pros have it on their flashes.

The worst of the diffusers I've tried was the Gary Fong Lightsphere.  It was heavy and awkward to use.  I like to go lightweight and compact and the Stofen works in a pinch.

Actually, the E-PL5 is so outstanding with a fast lens like the Panasonic f/1.7 or Olympus 45 that I find I can usually do without flash entirely, relying on auto ISO set for a maximum of ISO3200 and I don't need flash at all, which is the way I prefer to work for a more natural look.

What I really appreciate is the deep depth of field I can get with the 20mm at f/1.7 when I have to shoot a group of people - yeah, others might complain that they can't get a shallow enough depth of field, but sometimes that's not what I want.

Look at this group of people taken at f/1.7 (no flash).

Isabel

daddyo wrote:

If you like using the Stoffen as you have indicated, you really should give the 'Better Bounce Card' a try. Peter Gregg offers the following video that shows how to make your own, and how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM

I made up about 10 of these a couple years ago (and have given most of them away to photographer friends). I find this design to be much better than the Stoffen, or Gary Fong diffusers for doing bounce because the light is being reflected forward and up rather than 360 degrees in every direction.

The light quality from this design is very natural looking, and you are not wasting flash power lighting the people behind you, etc.

When ceilings are too high to benefit from bounce, or when weird color casts might result from bounce I use a very effective, but inexpensive mini softbox on my flash -- the Vivitar DF-Pro, which collapses easily and fits in a camera bag pocket. Fry's sells them for $9.99.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow