Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 4,005Gear list
Like?
Re: Any suggestions...
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 12, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

DavidGBK wrote:

..for a good book on Semiotics for photographers?

I am often very frustrated at my inability to express properly in words why I like a particular image.

For example "If only!!!" is an excellent image and one that appeals to me but I am struggling on how to say this.

Often I do not think it is fair to comment "nice pic" when the image deserves a fuller response, some of us use this so often that I think it really has no meaning and is devalued.

Daedalus2000 described what I was feeling about this image and I was kicking my self saying "yes, exactly"; why could I not express this.

I think part of it is practise; deliberately trying to articulate why we like or dislike an image.

Anyway; any suggestions on a good intorductory book gratefully received.

I like to read

Regards

David

As I've said, it's something that we already know (because it's how we function in our daily lives), but to be wholly conscious of it can help make you a better image maker.  And once it's part of your 'DNA' then you will go about making images almost 'subconsciously' and without much hesitation; i.e., 'that decisive moment.'

i have spent a fair part of today reading about `semiotics` on the net, lots of it meant absolutely nothing to me as it seemed to be very close to philosophy in how its structured, and i have never been able to get a grip on anything philosophical, well not that i could understand anyway.

i then went looking for `semiotics` for dummies, and read what i found, i still dont understand it to be able to explain what it means, but i think i have realised something, and that is, we all start to learn `semiotics` from when we can first see, hear, feel, taste, smell etc. its just how we learn everthing that helps us as a race to survive.

`semiotics` is just a fancy name for what we all do, all day, every day of our lives, if we didnt naturally learn `semiotics` we would all be dead, simple.

at 55 years old, i have survived by learning thousands of various `signs` until they become second nature, totally natural and its all done without thinking about them individually.

so in my mind, its already in everyones `DNA`, thats why we are still here.

pc

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
pcNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow