Slot Canyon Photography: 12mm f2, 7-14, neither or other?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
Slot Canyon Photography: 12mm f2, 7-14, neither or other?
Apr 12, 2013

Hello all,

So I'm planning a 5-day adventure that includes what is arguably the longest and deepest slot canyon on earth. I had been thinking about renting a 7-14 to tag along for some time, since a UWA is obviously a must.

But lately I have been so pleased with the Rokinon fisheye, that I couldn't imagine not taking that along. I can crop quite a bit or defish images if necessary, but in some ways I get the most overall usability with that extreme wide view. Plus the 7-14 purple flare from light sources worries me, as those are some of the best shots you get in slot canyons, with a dimly lit slot and bright light sneaking in from elsewhere.

Then I started thinking about just how dim the bowels of this canyon will be, and suddenly the 12mm prime seems like a no-brainer. I use that end the most with my 12-50 already, and being able to use that FOV at f2 if necessary sounds amazing.

Does anyone have both the 12-50 and the 12mm prime have any thoughts on bringing both along?

I think my final kit is looking like the Rokinon FE, 12mm F2, 12-50, and maybe the 40-150 just in case any tele needs pop up near the end. I could throw the 20mm in the bag, as its tiny, but the uses seem limited and somewhat redundant.

Anyways, I'm just throwing this out there to bounce some ideas around. Any thoughts, suggestions, or observations appreciated.

Wally

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow