Macro Focus Stacking

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Soares
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
Zerene Stacker software...
In reply to Duncan C, Apr 12, 2013

It's the best dedicated software IMO ( also google Michael Erlewine - Macrostop which is a great source with free e-books! Michael is a top macro photographer and his books are really good source to start with macro-photography of flowers).

I have CS6 and also tried the Helicon but I do prefer the Zerene software.

You don't need a rail, and a good lens like the Nikon 85mm f1.4 G does the job really well, although an APO macro lens is better suited for the job.

Manual focus of course: just turn the focus a bit in each pic.

And forget about focus stacking without PP ( this is the strength of Zerene IMO): you gonna always have to clear some edges as unless you take literally thousands of pics of the same subject, some areas will have not enough data to compute a perfect final stacked pic.

I usually use 50 to 80 pics with my Zeiss Macro planar f/2 100mm, mostly at f/4, mirror up, delayed shutter, indoors always ( as any wind induced movement will ruin the pic ), base ISO, CLOSE your viewfinder PLZ, remote, a good tripod, good lightning and you are set.

I quite always leave some defocused areas to show some depth, otherwise the pic will appear too flat IMO...

All samples with the D4 and the Zeiss 100mm:

Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares
See my pictures at www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow