sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,617Gear list
Like?
Re: iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - a few thoughts
In reply to larrewl, Apr 12, 2013

larrewl wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

larrewl wrote:

I plan to take photos of birds that may be as far as 100m with my FZ200 tomorrow morning.  I usually use Shutter Priority mode.  I cannot find anything for EZ when in SP mode but found iZoom.  If I select iZoom, is the 12MP RW2 file unmodified if I zoom beyond 24x?  I've only tried optical 24x but distant birds occupy too few pixels to make good web photos.  Do you think turning on iZoom and going to 48x might slightly improve my chances to get a useable distant bird image.  I know there's no substitute for getting closer but occasionally that's not an option.

EZ is just what you get automatically when you decrease the picture size from the default 12mp value to some lower value. It's a sensor crop (when you save as JPG). When you save as JPG+Raw, it's a remapping of the full sensor to a smaller number of pixels, so you don't get more than "24x" on the display.

With iZoom (which I think is a good choice) the JPG uses the cropped sensor and upsamples it to 12mpx if the displayed zoom is >24x. Under those conditions the .RW2 contains the cropped file - so you get a 2k by 1.5k raw image if you're at 48x.

Sherm

If both EZ and iZoom create reduced-sized RW2 files when zoom >24x, I agree iZoom seems the better choice for distant objects.  It also seems the RW2 file would be of less value with either EZ or iZoom than if I continue to just take 12MP jpg+raw photos.

iZoom creates reduced sized (i.e sensor-cropped) raw image in the .RW2 when zoom>24x.

The FZ200 does not permit zoom>24x when saving RAW+JPG, even when the "picture size" is reduced. Instead, at all zoom 1-24x, the JPG size falls (the entire sensor is mapped to a smaller pixel array) but the raw image is (afaik) unchanged.

The value of iZoom with Raw is mostly at the user end - Increasing zoom lets you see a smaller FOV in the finder, and save what you see to to the .RW2.  Beyond that, what's saved is simply the center portion of a full-size RW2.  Nothing magic there.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow