Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: not res
In reply to John Sheehy, Apr 12, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

The two types of "resolution" you're speaking of...are are more related to the concept of sharpness and not resolution.

Nonsense.  Did becoming a moderator give you a license to alter reality?

There are very few people more aware of the difference between resolution and sharpness (or acuity) than I.  I rail about the difference all the time.  I did not conflate them in my post.  It is all your doing.

then instead of railing about it you should learn the difference.  Currently, you are wrong and he is correct. You are talking about acutance...not rez

Nonsense.  What is wrong with you two?

LOL, they echo each other.

I never confuse resolution and acutance, or resolution and sharpness; at least in the last several years I haven't.  Maybe you guys need some remedial reading lessons?

My original post clearly said two things:

1. Resolution can be measured relative to the frame/sensor size, or in absolute terms in the form of resolution per mm.
  2. Monolithic resolution measurements are misleading, especially with simple arrays of photosites.

I really don't you know where you come up with the idea that I confuse resolution with sharpness or acutance.

I am leading to believe DXOMark P-MPix Sharpness = MTF resolution (maybe average value on entire frame) + acutance (OOC default).

Nevertheless I agreed DxOMark should publish formula or at least tell us how they calculate into P-MPix number. Or DXO may think by leaving it as a mistery it will invoke controversy and therefore debates among photography world (achieved at this part), and will bring more attention to DXO (seems happening).

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow