Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

So you really don't gain any telephoto ability (because the lenses aren't good enough).  Until they make a super high resolution telephoto lens for the Q you won't see a lot of advantage with it for tele.  What you do gain is if you take say a C mount lens, you can get much more compact than an SLR at telephoto focal lengths.

Eric

So then we're back to the perceived size advantage which is valid if you ACTUALLY find yourself having to go without a camera often because the K-5, K-01, etc. are too large.  In any other case the size advantage comes down to liking a cool tiny camera and that doesn't really justify it for me.

I looked long and hard at Q vs. K-01 vs. advanced compacts and bought a K-01. That didn't quite kill my interest in a Q, and as late as last night I had a Q with 01 prime in my shopping cart. I didn't close the deal, and I think I have it beat now.

- I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount

- Supertele results with the Q are not better than adding a TC, or even two, to my K-01 and DA*300. I bought a Carry Speed VF-3 yesterday to improve usability of the K-01.

- I don't need more choices of which camera to bring, which lenses to pack, second guess, change my mind at the last minute, forget something I need.

- Size is the only real advantage of the Q, the K-01 beats it in every other way. Best use what I already have. I have a fanny pack that will fit the K-01 with DA 40 mounted. I have a small shoulder bag that will carry a K-01 with lens mounted and a small prime. I will look for a small belt case today that will carry the K-01 with FA 35, because that's my main lens. Then I won't have any reason not to pack a camera, and no further reason to buy a small sensored camera.

But damn, that Q with 8.5mm is cool.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow