Cougar encounter

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,162Gear list
Like?
Cougar and wild habitat
In reply to seho, Apr 12, 2013

So true. We build out into the wilderness, encroaching on wild habitat and wonder why we see big cats and bear in our neighborhoods. We need to leave enough space for big cats like this to roam.

Glendale, CA is due north of downtown Los Angeles, about 10 miles by car. The place where the cat was found is on the north end of town in a Glendale community called La Crescenta. The cat was about a mile from the edge of the natural forest. It's about 20 miles max from downtown LA to the San Gabriel Mountains. I live just east of Glendale in Pasadena.

The road I met Cal F&G on is a favorite bike ride and hike of mine just above La Crescenta. From parts of that road you look down on La Crescenta and downtown Los Angeles beyond. On clear days you can also see Long Beach, Catalina Island, the Santa Monica Bay and Santa Barbara Island 40 miles offshore.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow