cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Worst. PC. Sales. Ever.
In reply to Simon Garrett, Apr 12, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

migibson99 wrote:

Disagree.  Surely the drop in PC sales is not due only to W8, but it is a significant factor.

No it's not. People do not buy PC bc OS, they buy PC when there is a need for it.

Very few buyers (individual or corporate) face a clear-cut "need".  "Yes we need it or no we don't" - rarely is it that simple.

For corporates there are often many factors to be considered: cost of carrying on with existing kit (or without any kit, as the case may be), cost of buying new kit.  And included in the costs are cost of training and any efficiency gains and losses (including extra or reduced help desk costs).  This will include cost of retraining for W8, cost of re-engineering support services for W8, cost of rolling out new software...  The move from XP to W7 brought clear gains to enterprises in reduced support and maintenance costs.  It's not clear that's the case for W8, and unless you pre-install Start8 (or in some other way suppress Metro as far as possible) the roll-out costs in supporting users are going to be significant.

Consumers make computer purchase decisions based much more on want than need, and W8 appears to be reducing the "want" for some people.  We can argue how many "some" is, but remember that gadget-loving techy users (I admit I'm one) number well under 10% of computer users, probably well under 5%.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Not only do all these costs in corporate IT keep them from upgrading unless there is some compelling reason to, but many larger corporations have been moving to Virtual PCs, especially in the Financial industry. A thin client on the user's desktop, and the actual brains of that going into a server located in a data center, likely on the same server running 100's of other user's virtual desktops.

The company I work for stopped buying new PCs (and they probably employ 500,000+ people). If my laptop breaks, I'm provisioned a "VM", a new little "terminal" device gets sent to my desk if I need it.  That terminal device probably requires less management and supporting infrastructure for it to run on my desk than my Cisco IP phone. If I need remote access, work from home, I connect with a web browser which creates a terminal session.

This is a company where every employee would have had at least 1 PC years ago, and they'd probably be replaced every 2-3 years on average.  Windows 8 is absolutely no factor in the decisions to deploy technology like this, it started when Vista was out, but that really wasn't a factor either. If anything, Microsoft has implemented features in newer Windows versions to make it easier. (and we still need to license for each "seat" or VM)

It is likely that Windows 8 will never be deployed widely at this company, Vista was never used either. And there is still a substancial number of systems running XP (mostly VM's, any laptop without Windows 7 and bitlocker installed would have security flag it as a risk).

I know it's not only the financial industry using this technology, and it's likely responsible for a larger loss of PC sales than people not liking Windows 8 on demo machines at Best Buy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow