Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
calibrating monitor AND printer
Apr 12, 2013

My old Eye-One no longer works so I need to get new calibration software and hardware for my computers. Looking for help deciding what I should get.

I have two Macs: an iMac and a Macbook Air. Both running latest version of Mac OS X (v10.8). I send pics out to pro labs to be printed, but I'm also doing more and more printing myself, with a pair of Canon printers: ordinary stuff I do on the MG6200 and larger stuff I do on the Pro9000 MkII.

For calibrating the displays alone, it looks like either the Datacolor Spyder4Pro ($150) or the Xrite Colormunki Display ($170) would do the trick. Any thoughts about either one?

As for calibrating the printers, that's something I've never done, so I'm completely in the dark there. My prints seem to have proper colors to me—I don't see any unpleasant color casts—but I understand that I need to get systematic about this. Datacolor makes a product called Datacolor Print ($275). If I purchased the Datacolor Spyder4Pro first, and then purchased Datacolor Print later, would I end up with everything I need to calibrate and keep calibrated both computer displays and printers? And would this be pretty much the same thing as buying the Datacolor Spyder Studio ($450) at the start? I'd prefer not to buy the Studio for $450 if I could avoid it, simply for budgetary reasons. But if it was the right thing, I'd put it on a card.

Calibrating the computer displays, especially on the iMac, is the more urgent need — but I am thinking ahead to calibrating the printers too, which is why I'm posting in this forum.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow