Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to redhed17, Apr 12, 2013

redhed17 wrote:

olliess wrote:

A bold combination might be to release such a camera while moving the D600 or its successor downmarket, into the heart of the prosumer DX price bracket.

People seem to think everyone wants full frame! I don't, and the number of people seemingly wanting a D400 points them wanting a high spec 'DX' camera.

I'm not saying that "nobody" wants a new pro DX camera. I'm just saying that the segment is shrinking to the point that it might not make sense to go ahead with such a camera any more.

I've been in the same wait-to-upgrade boat as a lot of posters here, and even more importantly I don't want to invest much more into DX glass unless I know there is a future in DX bodies. So, it would be nice to know one way or the other.

Yes, I know DX was a compromise because of the cost of producing full frame sensors at the time, but for someone like me who does a bit of everything, from Landscape to Sports, and other bits and pieces, DX is perfect. I did consider at one point getting a D700, but that was in addition to the D300S, for low light ability and extra wide angles...

Imagine getting the functional equivalent of a 24+ MP D700 now. I'd be tempted. (At the least it would finally drive down the used prices on the D700.   )

And for all the hype about FX, it's still the DX cameras they are selling the most of by a long way, and that goes for all the other manufacturers too.

I think it's very hard to draw much of a conclusion from this. You can buy a DX camera new, with kit lens, for less than $500. I'm sure they sell more of those type by a long way than they do the D7100 at $1200. FX cameras have only just broken the $2k barrier.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow