Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Apr 12, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

If you do, you block the effect of the apodizing element and it becomes a normal 135mm lens.

That is irrelevant because you're effectively striving to maximize DoF. Apodizing element is primarily to help towards a gaussian rendering of OOF areas, when they are to show up.

So are we agreeing that when stopped down, the 135mm STF is just a normal 135mm lens?  Pretty much all lenses can be stopped down about 8 stops from maximum so "ability to stop down" means nothing.

Yep. When your desire is to eliminate OOF areas, there is no need to smoothen out OOF areas. Would I use 135mm STF at f/32? I don't use ANY lens at that aperture. If I had to, I will pick up my macro lens (the 135STF also serves as a fine close up lens).

Shallow DoF is a consequence. Getting a 500mm f/4 has more to do with maximizing speed than to create a shallow DoF.

Here is a way to view arbitrary images from a set of ~65k photos using the Canon 500mm f/4 lens. http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_500_4is.  How many appear to use a blurred background as part of the composition?

Shallow DoF can often be an issue with longer FL. In fact, even with just 200mm f/2.8 that I use on my APS-C cameras, I have to stop down to f/4-f/5.6 (sometimes f/8) to get a reasonable DOF.

Even sitting several rows back at an NBA game, may be about 60-70 ft from the nearest basket, with my NEX-3 and 200mm f/2.8, I'm looking at a DOF that is barely 4 ft. Substitute with 300mm f/2.8 and the DoF shrinks to barely more than the size of the basketball (about 1.5 ft).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow