HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews, continued ...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,960Gear list
Like?
Re: part 14 -- dynamic range extension ...
In reply to MitchyK7, Apr 12, 2013

MitchyK7 wrote:

Kim, I used to avoid DR400 all the time on my HS20, as i found it tended to flatten the images.

The flattening is a good thing is you are after the best possible capture. You want the least level of tone and sharpening so that you can apply that during processing.

However, JPEG shooters will want to experiment with DR400 plus a film mode. That should allow for more pleasant tones at the risk of blowing highlights or blocking shadows. But the finished product will have more punch.

Much like zooming in, but without zooming in. The images would loose the feeling of depth, so i would only use DR400 or higher for specific shots, fast speed, sunsets etc. So with this in mind, how would you say the HS50 fares in regards to image depth at more or less constant DR400, and what is the best way to counter this? In composition, or in PP? And how?

I edit every image, JPEG or RAW. If you have not read my EXR article, then you should do so. I clearly explain why I recommend what I recommend. I also clearly explain the many variations in settings that are used for various circumstances (which puts the lie to the comments form Dave that I advocate one set of settings for every situation) ...

Many thanks for all the work, i've actually learned a lot more from these boards (Myfinepix, is a shambles these days) about my camera than Fuji bothered to inform me about it. lol

Yes, there is much to learn and Fuji makes it incredibly complex.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow