Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,253
Like?
Re: 7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 12, 2013

Zee Char wrote:

Thorbard wrote:

myphotographic wrote:

Not so long ago, I went to a talk by this guy, who does a lot of landscapes using telephotos, and he talked about the need for a brace that steadies by the lens and the body, as just the lens ring isn't enough.

I think he name checked this ReallyRightStuff lens support
--
Paul

The linked mount won't support both the lens and the body. What it will support is the lens in two places, a slightly different (and more valid) concept than supporting both the lens and the body.

The mount between the lens and the camera should be pretty solid and accurate, and the camera body weighs relatively little compared to larger lenses.

The ideal is simply to support the lens and camera assembly directly below the centre of gravity. Maybe easier said than done, but with a telephoto, that is going to be forward of the camera lens mount.

Well it appears by the parts list you don't get the foot replacement (curved piece which attaches to the lens) which is good because you can't use that on the 70-200. Good thing as RRS does not give away their stuff. I just checked one of my standard long lens plates and there is no screw on the end to secure Y support so you need to get the package.

IMO that would be overkill for the OP's set up. This rig is for the big Kahuna lenses. I'm looking at my 5D3 and 70-200 and if you use the lens collar the kit is well balanced. I'd save the $230 and invest in a sturdy tripod, ball head and clamp/plate systems first.

Here is a plate for the 70-200 that attaches to the lens collar. It is 2 1/2" long. I measured mine and it is 3 1/2" long. I prefer a longer plate so I just got one for the 300L I think. I have 4 and they are all interchangeable. If you mix and match then I'd call RRS before purchasing - if you go this way.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B82&type=0&eq=B82-003&desc=B82%3a-For-Canon-EF-70-200mm%2ff4L&key=ait

List of Canon plates

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LensCanon&key=cat

Here is the plate on my 300 and locking collar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow