viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,779Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

Will that small appeal wear off when the sacrifice in IQ becomes more apparent?

For people who DO just treat it as a point and shoot, in a lot of cases, probably.

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

It is a LOT better at low light than most give it credit for.....and especially if you put good fast lenses on it.

That's the issue then really.  If I am tempted by the "the lens is basically free" pricing and pick it up for "when I need a really small camera" which I can't say is often, then it may be a waste.  I usually go for the best IQ I can get so I imagine myself getting disenchanted comparing it to the K-5 or K-01.

I suppose for unique long tele work or extreme macro with an adapter it would indeed be cool but again the sacrifice in IQ might eventually cause my enthusiasm wear off.

I don't do street photography so the unobtrusive angle isn't really important to me.

I don't know that I want to invest in a whole little system and the fast prime is all but impossible to find now.

It looks really cool but I don't want to waste money - even BestBuy money.  My kids would love it to be sure.  

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Just skip it then  The issue I find with the SLR lenses is they are not high enough resolution for the Q.  They can look good enough at f/8 or f/11, but that is like f/32 on APS-C, so it takes a lot of sharpening, and you are only getting equivalent to a 1 MP image, i.e. you could probably do almost as well cropping a high resolution APS-C sensor.  A 24 MP sensor cropped 4x zoom would be 1.5 MP, or a 16 MP cropped 4x zoom would be 1 MP.

So a 16 MP K series camera shot at f/8 and cropped down to 1 MP would be fairly similar to a Q shot at f/8, which is diffraction limited to about 1 MP.

So you really don't gain any telephoto ability (because the lenses aren't good enough).  Until they make a super high resolution telephoto lens for the Q you won't see a lot of advantage with it for tele.  What you do gain is if you take say a C mount lens, you can get much more compact than an SLR at telephoto focal lengths.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow